A knitted keepsake...


My family and I have toned down our holiday exuberance to more of a dull roar these days, but some things just need to be seen during the dark days of winter, and I think my treasured hand knit stocking is one of them. My mother knit this stocking for me 53 years ago and was always sorry she hadn't lined it, as the stretch factor is quite great.

My children have both enjoyed this family treasure as much as I did/do and it warms my heart to see it hung by the chimney with care. She used a beautiful wool and Santa's beard is pure angora...awww Mom!

I miss my Mother and would love her to know that this stocking is still being truly treasured and protected. At the time my children were born I wasn't a knitter and alas they don't have their very own hand knit stockings, but I can see to it that any little bundles that may come along (waaayyyy in the future) will have their own treasures to hang on to. I wonder what your family treasures are and would love to hear from you about them. If you would like me to talk about them, just send a picture with an explanation to jeanne@jimmybeanswool.com and I will be happy to post them. I realize this is a sentimental, short post, but sometimes it's the short and sweet things in life that are the best.

I hope you are enjoying your day today and as always happy knitting, crocheting and sewing!

Jeanne

P.S. Have you seen our latest catalog yet? It’s 48 pages of pure, 100% Rowan. Visit www.jimmybeanswool.com/catalog to sign up for your free copy!

you might also like

wool

3 comments:

  1. I have a stocking almost exactly like yours. Below the chimney is my name vertically. My aunt knitted it and three more for my brothers over 50 years ago. I wish she had lined it too as the orange Santa always left in the toe caused it to stretch quite a bit. Now that I know how to knit, it's have some repairs done over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,

    I so enjoyed this post. It is so sweet and perfect for this time of year! It reminds me that the best things can't be bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has a cherished stocking his grandmother knitted for him when he was born. A few years ago I found a similar pattern and knitted one for my new daughter-in-law. Unfortunately, I was a beginning knitter and my gauge was way off. But fortunately, my daughter-in-law was thrilled that her stocking was so huge!

    ReplyDelete

FancyTheme