The MKAL of Ice and Fire- Clue #5

Hi everyone!

Whew what a week! I hope all of you were able to make it thorough the last clue ok. I know there were many folks hung up on getting the correct stitch counts at the front and back split, and I hope everyone was able to either figure it out, or at least move forward. Remember, if you haven't yet, make sure to take a look at the photo tutorial I provided to illustrate the split. I think a lot of folks found it helpful.


Another way to wear it.
Finished weaving the ends
at the ballpark recently.
This week's instructions will prove to be much simpler. This clue will also be the final clue for this KAL. I think now it's time to tell you all what you've made. Most of you guessed it-- it is indeed a cowl! It's hooded cowl to be exact, because it can be worn up over the head (which explains the short- row shaping.) Not only that, but the buttoned flaps at the bottom allow you to open the cowl up to accommodate the shoulders a bit and give it a more customizable fit.


This design, as I may have hinted at, is inspired by Arya, who is one of my favorite characters in the books and the show. (We also named one of our chickens after her. Can you tell I am obsessed?) I am calling this pattern the "Water Dancer Cowl" in honor of her "dancing" lessons with Syrio. I find it highly appropriate that we all "needled" this cowl into existence using sharp sticks. I think Arya would approve. :)


Arya the chicken. She is
our feistiest hen by far.

With that, here are the instructions for finishing your cowl:
Front view.

Back Flap:

-Pick up sts with your needle and join yarn with wrong side facing.
-K 5, P to last 5 sts, K 5
-Work in 4 row lace pattern until flap measures 5.5" from front and back split.

*Note, you will not work buttonholes on this flap.

Birds Eye Lace Pattern:


-Row 1: k5, *k2tog (twice), yo2; repeat from * to 4 sts before marker, k2tog (twice), k5 (64 sts)
-Row 2: k5, *p2, (k1, p1) into double yo; repeat from * to 2 sts before marker, p2, k5.

-Row 3: k5, k1, *yo2, k2tog (twice); repeat from * to 1 st before marker, yo2, k1, k5. (66 sts)
-Row 4: k5, p1, *(k1, p1) into double yo, p2; repeat from * to 3 sts before marker, (k1, p1) into double yo, p1, k5.
Back view.

-Once flap measures 5.5", knit 6 rows in garter stitch (knit every row).
-Bind off all sts.
-Weave in all ends and block.
-Attach buttons on back flap edges to line up with button holes.

And that's it! Your Game of Thrones MKAL knitting is complete! Next week I'd love to post a photo gallery of people's finished cowls so hopefully you'll all share your photos with me. :) If you'd like me to feature your finished cowl on the blog, please e-mail your photo to me directly: kristen(at)jimmybeanswool(dot)com. Please don't be shy!!! I can't wait to see all of your beautiful FOs!




Side
Front
Back

Also, I will be re-formatting the pattern, and having it re-edited, and taking nicer photos taken of the cowl in order to release the pattern as a PDF. I will try to have this all done by the middle of May, so stay tuned for that if you'd like a copy for your collection.

Lastly, I'll keep all of the Clue threads "Sticky" on Ravelry for the next month and a half so that folks who are taking their time with the KAL can still find them easily if needed.

I hope you all have enjoyed this KAL. I know I certainly enjoyed chatting with all of you and designing this fun piece for you all. I love the result and I hope you all do too. I know it's definitely time for summer now and it's warming up all over the place, but just think, next fall you'll have a beautiful new cowl to wear when it gets chilly again. I can't wait! Winter IS coming. Eventually. :)

Happy knitting everyone!
Kristen

you might also like

Winter is Coming

7 comments:

  1. What sze buttons are recommended?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with 3/4" size but anything from 1/2" to 3/4" would work!

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your design! I've enjoyed this project, I hope you will host another for us.
    Colette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Catelyn and/or EddardApril 29, 2013 at 4:27 AM

    Very nicely done! Thank you for all your hard work on the pattern. I worked up two of them. The one with the dark blues/greys handspun wool is done, and is more rustic looking which I think is appropriate to the theme. Love it! The other is a more modern wool blend - smoother, & lighter colored. Since I haven't started the lace I think I'll pick up stitches all the way around and just have buttons on one side instead of both. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great fun to puzzle out. It was my first mystery KAL and I definitely enjoyed the mystery aspect of it. One question, do you have recommendations on blocking? I've never blocked anything that was so shaped. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog often. And think you continue to do great work! สมัคร 123bet

    ReplyDelete
  7. MCA Live Transfer Leads professional guarantees to deliver Qualified MCA Aged Leads with precise and updated knowledge prepared for conversion MCA Live Leads.

    ReplyDelete

FancyTheme