Ahhhh Shetland wool...






Sandy and I have been working towards an adventure in Scotland for a long, long time and we are finally in the real planning stages of our adventure! Of course we would love to visit every knitting and wool venue that we can think of (and boy can we think of a lot!!), but we will have to limit our time to some specifics. Alice Starmore, if you are reading this, can we please, please come to tea?






Kate Davie's Sixareen Cape




Now what trip that Sandy and I planned not be all about the knitting and of course we are going to Scotland one of the world's knitting capitals, so come on let's knit!! We just received our package from Jamieson and Smith in Lerwick Scotland full of our yarn for Kate Davies Sixareen Cape! Now of course we can get yarn here at the shop that would fill the bill perfectly, but this came from Scotland and that makes the two of us feel a little like we have already begun our adventure.













Yesterday Sandy said hey have you checked your mail to see if our package is here and I said no, but what do you think I did when I first got home?? Yep that's right I went straight to the mail and it was exciting to see our package in my box. I started texting Sandy right away and she said open, open, open, but it just didn't seem right to open the package without my Jo (gaelic for friend) by my side, so I waited and it was HARD let me tell you!!!







When we did finally open the package our fingers, eyes and hearts were in total wool overload...ahhhhh Shetland wool. The yarn is a recent addition for Jamieson and Smith and it's called Heritage. The idea is that it is more like the traditional yarn used in fair isle knitting of old and I can say that I just can't wait to cast on. Of course I have a couple of pressing projects that I am working on right now, but I am sure I could squeeze in at least a gauge swatch right?





Kate is beautiful in her Sixareen



Have any of you ever been to Scotland? I did get to go many, many years ago with my Mom (on a tour) and absolutely loved it!! Sandy and I are trying to decide if we should book a tour, or go freestyle and would love to hear any suggestions you may have for us.

For now we will continue to play Scottish music, dance a little and knit with Shetland wool. Stay tuned for more, as our adventure is actually about a year away, but it's always good to plan ahead.

As always, happy knitting, crocheting and sewing!

Jeanne


you might also like

virtual yarns

9 comments:

  1. Hey Jeanne - when are you and Sandy coming to our beautiful country? I would definitely recommend a DIY visit.That way you get to spend as long (or as little) a time as you want to in each place. Guaranteed that, just when you find somewhere interesting, you realise you only have 5 minutes before you have to be on the coach to be whisked away somewhere else! Enjoy! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Scotland three summers ago and totally enjoyed it. I know you ar going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for the both of you! My mom was born in Dundee so I would love to go. If you use a really big suitcase, maybe I could stuff myself in it and go with you..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanne, If you are comfortable driving on the other side of the road, I say plan your own trip. But one thing I had learned on my last trip to Scotland is that even though the distance to get somewhere says 25 miles, it still might take you an hour or so to get there. Knowing this might help in planning.
    Please share the knitting and wool venues that you know about. The first time that I went to Scotland (2006), I was really excited when I saw shops that said “woolen mill” but disappointed that they only sold finished products and not the wool. I ended up buying Rowan wool at a John Lewis store just to feel that I bought wool in Scotland. On another trip in October 2010, I was able to go to a newly opened “The Yarn Cake” in Glasgow that introduced me to New Lanark Wool. I didn’t buy any at the time but waited 2 years to finally be able to have a fantastic trip to New Lanark Mill (http://www.newlanark.org/) last October 2012. I highly recommend visiting and staying at least a night at the hotel. I will be back again to Scotland next year to visit family and I want to visit so many more places I haven’t been to yet. I really love Scotland!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to Edinburgh in July. I would love to know if there will be yarn stores there before I finalize my ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HiConnie! There sure are - here are links to the 3 decent ones I know of. http://www.k1yarns.co.uk/ http://www.kathysknits.co.uk/ http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/
    Also, if you are closer to my neck of the woods (Perthshire) then http://www.kareliahouse.co.uk/ is worth a look. Glad my home country has so many fans!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MCA Live Transfer Leads professional guarantees to deliver Qualified MCA Aged Leads with precise and updated knowledge prepared for conversion MCA Live Leads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to hear that you're planning an adventure in Scotland!. Alice Starmore or her representatives directly through her website or social media channels. Express your admiration for her work and your interest in meeting her for tea. MyBKExperience Survey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Planning my travel to Alicante was a breeze with the comprehensive travel guide from happylife.es. The guide provided all the essential information I needed to make the most of my trip – from must-visit attractions and local cuisine to hidden gems and practical travel tips. Thanks to happylife.es, I felt well-prepared to explore Alicante's beautiful beaches, historic sites, and vibrant culture. If you're considering a visit to this charming city, I highly recommend checking out their travel guide to ensure a memorable and enjoyable experience! ✈️🌞🏖️

    ReplyDelete

FancyTheme