Knitting and broken bones...how are these two things related?

Hello everyone!  I hope you've all been well these past few weeks!  You may have noticed the absence of FO Fridays and WIP Weekends for the past two weeks, and no, I haven't been shirking my blog responsibilities.  I have a really good reason.  I swear!

Yep, definitely broken.
April 1st was my birthday...Happy Birthday to me!  I made plans with some friends that included my favorite pizza place in Reno followed by roller skating in fabulous 90's attire.  All was going well that evening until I decided to take a spill on the rink.  I blame it on the rental skates. Yeah, that's it, the skates! I broke my wrist.  To the tune of needing surgery (a metal plate and 9 screws) to fix!  Yikes!

Here's me in the ER
looking awesome in my
shiny Blue Dress!
Although the break was kind of painful, I managed to stay in good humor at the emergency room cracking jokes with the nurses and doctors.  I mean, come on, dressed the way I was, a grown woman with a Roller Skating injury like that?  It WAS pretty comical.  Anyway, at least I can laugh at myself, right?

So I have spent the last few weeks recovering and sleeping a ton! Who knew that building new bones in your body uses a LOT of energy? I had surgery last Monday and since then I have been able to knit in small increments at the recommendation of my orthopedic surgeon.  He said it would help speed up my recovery. Hurray for some good news!



From the Purl Bee

Tosh Merino Light
I started out knitting with some mohair and I don't know what I was thinking!  It was a little too tough to manage when you don't have much of a grip.  I broke my right wrist which is my dominant side.  Luckily I am a continental knitter or I might be having a tougher time of it.  I decided to start off with some simple garter stitch so I began working on this adorable baby blanket which is a free pattern from the lovely folks over at Purl Soho.
It's called the Super Easy Baby Blanket and it's a free pattern on the Purl Bee Blog.  I chose to do mine in Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light so I adjusted the pattern for a smaller gauge.  I cast on 200 sts on a US size 5 needle and I'm really excited about the colors.  Shown here in order from left I have: Espadrilles, Milk, Olivia, Clover, Kelp and Kale.  I am undecided on the 7th color but I figure I don't really need to decide that right now.  I don't actually have anyone to knit this for at the moment, but it's a lovely little project as all that garter stitch makes my hands, wrist, and fingers very happy! (I'm thinking about knitting it for Bethany, because she is so Awesome.)

Top Down Swing Pullover
"Royal Wedding"
Somehow, in all of this bone-breaking craziness, I managed to score eight skeins of Lorna's Lace's Green Line Worsted in the "Royal Wedding" color which was the Limited Edition for this month.  Although I'm not really into all of the hullaballoo surrounding the actual Royal Wedding, I was completely drawn in by the lovely shades of blue in this color.  I knew immediately that it would be perfect for the new Knitting Pure and Simple pattern I recently purchased!  So this morning I cast on from the ball I hand-wound last night while watching an encore of the first episode "A Game of Thrones" on (my hubby is an uber-Fantasy nerd.)  The pattern is Knitting Pure and Simple #115, Top Down Swing Pullover.  It's a cute, 3/4 sleeve, tunic length sweater that has a bit of drape to it.  I really like it and I think it's going to be pretty in this yarn.

So I hope this helps to explain my absence here.  Next week I get to have my post-surgery splint taken off and will have a removable brace that should allow me even more mobility.  I can't wait!  There has been all kinds of knitting going on at the shop, so I'll be back next Friday with a real FO/WIP post. If any of you have experienced something similar to my injury and have any wisdom to impart for the recovery process, please feel free to share!  I welcome any and all suggestions!

Happy knitting!

Kristen

PS.  Are you receiving our twice-monthly newsletters yet?  If not, they are a great way to find out about Limited Edition Lorna's Laces colors, sales, new items, and all kinds of other fun stuff.  Read through past newsletters and sign up to receive future ones here.

        

you might also like

tosh merino light

6 comments:

  1. Best wishes and prayers for a super speedy complete healing and pain free knitting sooner than soon. WOW - Doctor recommended knitting - that's my kind of prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow and I thought I had it rough with a hip replacement this month, at least in my case I still can knit although my hands did get week from using a walker so much. Good to know knitting is doctor recommended.

    One tip I would offer, having had several bone surgeries myself is to find a good massage therapist as soon as your doctor allows. Massage helps blood flow which helps the healing process and can also help keep the muscle fibers aligned proper which will help with flexibility later.

    I wish you much good luck and a speedy recovery. And looking forward to seeing your "recovery" project as I like to call them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Thanks for the massage tip! One should never need an excuse to get one of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I also didn't understand that how these things are related. I was looking for online assignment help to do my essay work, I always take my sister's help for it. But this time she is not here, So I am looking for this on google. I hope I will find it soon.

    ReplyDelete

FancyTheme