Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Injury Update - and Socks!!

Stop the presses!! I might actually finish a PAIR of socks! And in record time!

I have never, ever knit a pair of socks this fast... and i think this is only the 3rd time that i've gotten this far on 2 socks - i've already turned the heel (just did it this morning). As i've been having to sit on my butt almost every day for the last 10 days, I only have my injury (and that darned bush) to thank.

So - an update on the old leg... after getting it cleaned out last saturday (the 5th), i spent the next few days limping from room to room (and needing a bit of help getting in and out of chairs). We thought the muscle had been punctured also, so weren't surprised by the intense swelling and redness (and my lameness). Sleeping was miserable - i could only sleep in one position. That, combined with the heat and intense smoke out here made for restless nights. (I finally gave up and started taking a few ibuprofen around midnight each night - it helped.) On Friday (the 11th), i headed to work in reno, determined to be useful. Well.... a few hours into my 'shift', a huge spot suddenly appeared on the side of my shorts. My leg had exploded. I am not kidding you - ask Amanda of the A-Team. It was disgusting - and i won't recall the details (unless you ask me, of course!) - but i was so thankful that Jeanne has stocked the store bathroom with a ton of bandages. I spent the next 15 minutes in the bathroom, cleaning up the mess. Gross.

Needless to say, we then realized that my leg was infected (we really thought it was just a punctured muscle) and headed back to the doctor the next morning. She numbed it (again) and then went to town cleaning it out... (she thought doug was going to pass out, as the hole had abscessed and was now an inch or so deep - and almost twice as wide as before). After cleaning it, she packed it with some sort of tape stuff (looked like a non-calorie eating tapeworm to me) and told me to come back on monday. I thought i was going to be sick to my stomach. I swear that she touched my thigh bone when she was cleaning it out - i could feel it in the pit of my stomach. AHHHH!! Anyway, i went back on monday and she removed that tapeworm, but then put in another. No numbing this time - and i think everyone in the office could hear me screaming (poor Doug)! i have to go back tomorrow - and then friday - and then hopefully the hole will have healed enough that it can exist without pieces of inanimate tape stuffed into it. I can't wait. :)

p.s. In case you're wondering what this beautiful yarn i'm knitting on ... it's the new Hand Paint Sock Yarn by Misti Alpaca (color - Taos). Yum.
p.p.s. once i'm able to start walking normally again, doug and i will be taking our handsaw up to the site of the accident. we're going to find that darned bush and cut the offending branch off. It will make me feel better.
Post a Comment